This week at Walt Disney World, tons of closures are coming to Epcot during the first week of the year, a new addition is announced for Disney Springs, plus Disney's Hollywood Studios' nighttime spectacular gets plussed up for the new year!
Outside Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando Resort preemptively extends Halloween Horror Nights in 2020 and a SeaWorld special event sells out early.
1. Mouse Gear on the move at Epcot
Epcot will really be ramping up construction in 2020, and as a result we're going to see a lot of closures and changes next January. First up, on January 4, 2020, Mouse Gear will have its final day of operation in its current location, and will then reopen the next day in a new temporary location in the former Innoventions East building. The temporary location will also be called Mouse Gear.
2. Tron ride vehicle photo op now available at Tomorrowland
One day later, on January 5, 2020, the current Character Spot will close in Innoventions West. Because of this closure, we will be getting a few character shuffles in the near future including the following:
- Minnie Mouse will move to the meeting area in the World Showcase Gazebo.
- Daisy Duck (who formerly met in the gazebo area) will relocate to Future World East.
- Goofy will meet guests at the park's main entrance area near Spaceship Earth.
- Joy will be meeting guests sometime in the future in in the Imagination! pavilion in the ImageWorks area. A new backdrop and greeting area is currently being installed and should be finished soon.
Sadly it looks like January 5, 2020 will be the last day for guests to meet characters Sadness and Baymax, as these two will not be relocating after this closure.
3. The Festival of Fantasy parade resumes 3:00 start time
The 3:00 parade has become such an institution at the Magic Kingdom that Disney has even created a line of merchandise themed around the classic tourist question "When is the 3 'o clock parade?" And even though the daily Festival of Fantasy parade moved to 2:00 PM through the holiday season, effective January 1, 2020 the parade will move back to 3:00 PM.