Alton Towers has released an official application for the Apple iPhone, becoming the latest in a series of parks to take advantage of the boom in smartphone sales.
The application is now available to download free of charge from Apple's iTunes App Store, and can also be run on iPod Touch devices (with a subset of features). It provides a range of tools designed to enhance visitors' days out at Alton Towers, including live queue times and an interactive park map. The app is similar in design to that of sister park Thorpe Park, which was released last year.
As with Thorpe Park's app, the "killer feature" of the Alton Towers app is likely to be live queue times which will save users from walking across the park only to discover that an attraction is suffering from huge crowds. It also incorporates augmented reality technology, enabling users to point their phone's camera at any area of the park, and see information on rides, restaurants and shops overlaid on top of the live video.
Other features of the official Alton Towers iPhone application include:
- Park map - interactive park map, showing guests their current location in the park.
- Ride rater - the ability to rate attractions at the park, and to view ratings from other users.
- Coaster Counter - allowing users to keep track of how many rides they have been on.
- Games - including "G-Force Your Face", which allows users to simulate the effects of G-Forces on a photo of their face.
- Car locator - uses the iPhone's GPS capability to help guide guests back to their car.
- All Times Greats - gives users the chance to vote for their favourite ride in Alton Towers' history.
Other Merlin Entertainments Group-owned parks, such as Chessington World of Adventures and LEGOLAND Windsor, are expected to follow in the footsteps of Thorpe Park and Alton Towers and release their own iPhone applications in the future.
Have you tried Alton Towers' official app on your iPhone? Let us know what you think of it through the comments section below.