A Disneyland employee has been arrested after a small plastic bottle containing dry ice exploded inside a trash can in the Toontown area of the theme park on May 29, 2013.
Toontown was evacuated as the source of the explosion was investigated and subsequently traced to the trash can. While police and fire crews were called to the scene, no injuries or serious damage have been reported. The area has since reopened to guests.
Christian Barnes, 22, an outdoor vending cart Cast Member at Disneyland, has been remanded on $1,000,000 bail in connection with the incident. Disneyland is said to be considering whether or not to terminate Barnes' contract, or simply to suspend him. It is not yet clear whether Barnes intended to cause the explosion, or whether it was simply an accident.
Disneyland released the following statement: "This afternoon, a small bang was heard in a trash can at Mickey’s Toontown. In an abundance of caution, the area was evacuated. There were no injuries and no reported damage. We are working with local authorities who are now on-site and reviewing."