Merlin Entertainments Group has unveiled details of planned attractions and ticket pricing for the LEGOLAND Florida park, which will open in October 2011.
LEGOLAND Florida will feature more than 50 rides, shows and attractions spread across 10 themed lands. Tickets are now available online, with one-day admission priced at $65 for adults and $55 for children aged 3-12. Standard annual passes will cost $99, while Plus passes (which include parking and discounts on food and merchandise) will cost $159 for adults and $129 for children.
Merlin has released a preview video of LEGOLAND Florida. Further videos of each land at the park are available on the official LEGOLAND Florida website:
LEGOLAND Florida will be located in Winter Haven on the site of the closed Cypress Gardens park, which was purchased by Merlin for $22.3 million in January. Several areas and attractions from the Cypress Gardens park will become part of LEGOLAND Florida, although all will be extensively rethemed and updated to suit the park's target audience of families with 2-12 year-old children.
The lands at LEGOLAND Florida will be familar to anyone who has visited any of the other LEGOLAND parks around the world, and have been expanded since the park's previous announcement in July. They will include:
- The Beginning - entrance area, featuring The Big Shop (formerly Jubilee Mercantile) which will offer a large selection of LEGO toys.
- Fun Town - home to the LEGO Factory Tour, where guests can learn all about LEGO) and the Clutch Powers 4-D show.
- DUPLO Village - aimed at younger children, includes play areas and rides featuring trucks and cars. Formerly known as Gamesville.
- Imagination Zone - featuring the Kid Power Tower drop tower ride plus an extensive selection of LEGO for guests to build models with.
- Miniland USA - home to LEGO reproductions of famous landmarks including Las Vegas, New York City and Washington D.C. Florida icons such as the Kennedy Space Center and the Daytona Speedway will also be recreated.
- Castle Hill - home to the Dragon Coaster (which extends both indoors and outdoors), The Hideaways rope climb area and "jousting" astride LEGO horses.
- Land of Adventure - Egyptian-themed land based around a mock Pharoah's temple, featuring the Beetle Bounce "frog jumper" up-and-down ride and the Pharoah's Revenge foam balls attraction. The land will also now now absorb the previously-announced Dino Island, including Coastersaurus, a dinosaur-themed revamp of the existing Triple Hurricane wooden rollercoaster.
- LEGO City - featuring the LEGOLAND Driving School, along with the Fun Town Fire Academy, in which guests use LEGO fire trucks to hose down a burning building.
- XTreme - will be centered around the LEGO TECHNIC Test Track, which will allow guests to race a life-size LEGO TECHNIC vehicle along a wild mouse rollercoaster track. This is likely to be rethemed version of the former Jungle Coaster from LEGOLAND Windsor. The area will also host the Wave Racers water carousel ride.
- Pirate's Cove - home to a rethemed version of the former Cypress Gardens waterski show.
Other famous elements of Cypress Gardens will become part of the LEGOLAND Florida resort, with the gardens themselves being among the most notable elements to be retained. No LEGO theming will be added to the gardens themselves.
Merlin hopes to convert the 145-acre LEGOLAND Florida site into a multi-day destination, creating over 1,000 jobs in the process. It plans to invest hundreds of millions into the project, adding hotels and attractions based on its other brands which include Madame Tussaud's Wax Museums and SeaLife aquariums. It is likely the company will also seek to convert the existing Splash Island water park to a LEGO theme, supporting its plans to add LEGO water parks to a number of its locations. However, the water park will not open at the same time as the theme park.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.