This week at Walt Disney World, Disney provides several construction updates on EPCOT project, park hopping is confirmed to be returning in 2021, and more restaurants reopen just in time for the holiday season.
Outside Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando Resort announces a nighttime upcharge event as well as a special Black Friday package deal.
1. Park hopping officially returns to Walt Disney World theme parks in 2021
Disney has officially announced that park hopping will be back at Walt Disney World as of January 1, 2021! However, though guests can now visit more than one park per day, the process is a little different than what guests may have been used to in the past. Here are some key changes:
- Guests must still make a Disney Park Pass reservation for the first park they plan to visit AND enter that first park prior to visiting another. At this time, a park reservation is not required after the first park, however, reservation requirements are subject to change.
- Park Hopping will only be available during specific Park Hopper hours, which will start at 2:00 PM. each day and end at the park’s scheduled close time.
Guests will continue to have the option to visit multiple parks as long as they have a ticket or pass valid for admission to that park on that same day. Please note that the ability to visit another park will be subject to the park’s capacity limitations.
2. New walkway from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom opens
This week the much anticipated walkway from the Grand Floridian Resort to the Magic Kingdom opened, allowing guests to walk a little under a mile from the hotel directly to the theme park. This should help relieve congestion on monorail/watercraft/bus lines, and give guests who don't mind a 15-minute walk easy access to the theme park.
3. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind conducting push-pull tests
During an EPCOT-centric presentation earlier this week it was revealed that Imagineers are currently carrying out push/pull tests of the Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind ride vehicles on the track, which is a preliminary test that verifies that the vehicles are able to pass through the track as intended before full speed testing. This is definitely a great development for this attraction and shows how much progress has been made, but unfortunately we still don't have an opening window for this attraction.
4. Harmonious barges will be used during the day as water features
Though we still don't have an opening target for EPCOT's new Harmonious nighttime spectacular, barges for this show will be out in World Showcase Lagoon at EPCOT during the daytime, as fountains to offer a special visual feature for guests. No date was given for when we might see these special fountains in action, but with construction basically complete on these structures and no date yet for the nighttime spectacular's debut, we'll hopefully see them in action before the end of the year.