Since the closure of theme parks due to the COVID-19 pandemic back in March, expert teams have been researching and pinning down the necessary safety measures that need to be put into place in order to make theme parks as safe as possible when they get the green light to reopen.
Many theme parks across the world have now gotten permission to reopen providing they follow the government guidelines, with each having to have submitted detailed reopening plans with long lists of new safety guidelines and protocols that will be followed.
For some theme parks around the world their gates have already reopened to welcome fans once more, and many more now have reopening dates announced with detailed measures and guidelines in place ready.
Six Flags, Frontier City (Oklahoma City) is reopening on June 5 with limited capacity and a phased reopening for members and season pass holders and then increasing the attendance levels during the month. Like every theme park, it has had to address all areas of health and safety to implement new safety measures in light of COVID-19 still being present.
As Six Flag operates numerous theme parks across the US and in Mexico and Canada, these guidelines are likely to be very similar across all parks, with some slight changes where necessary, based on local government guidelines. Guidelines for each park can be checked via Six Flags official website.
Six Flags states on it's official site: "The Six Flags Re-Opening Plan was developed in coordination with expert epidemiologists and is designed to protect Six Flags guests and Team Members from potential exposure to COVID-19."
The document states very clearly that guests must, "Wear your protective face mask at all times during your visit (other than children two and under) and adhere to the social distancing and sanitization guidelines posted throughout the park."
From photos on their official website, you can see signage at the entry points to rides stating "Together, we can Do The Six! In our queue lines, please keep a distance of 6' between you and other guests and employees."
The comprehensive list of measures appear under the following headings, General Protocols, Screening Protocols, Social Distancing Protocols, Sanitization and Disinfection Protocols and Signage, Communications, Training, & Guest On-boarding Protocols and are summarized below:
- All guests will be asked to review the parks health policy before visiting.
- All guests (over the age of 2) and team members to wear face masks (covering nose and mouth) the whole time you are in the park. Certain restrictions for Water Park.
- Non-Invasive temperature checks (using state-of-the-art temperature testing technology) for all guests and employees.
- Limited capacity to aid social distancing.
- Implementation of a new web based park reservation and contact system to reduce front gate congestion amd improve the guest experience.
- Strongly recommending cashless payments.
- Promote 6ft separation in all queues and guest separation in seating areas, water park changing areas and in entertainment viewing areas.
- Guest separation on all rides and attractions which will be implemented by including removing or blocking off seats.
- Minimize guest contact during security pre-screen, state-of-the-art technology designed to efficiently perform bag checks and metal detection with no contact will be used.
- Remote employee training.
- Cleaning teams introduced to disinfect common areas, significantly increasing efforts to sanitize and disinfect all high touch points (benches, chairs, tables etc)
- Providing hand sanitizer stations and hand washing stations throughout the park.
- Continuously monitor and sanitize restrooms and water park changing areas as well as employee work areas.
- Cleaning teams will spray or wipe down seats and restraints to give riders a safe and sanitary experience.
- Encourage the use of hand santizer at the entrance to all queue entrances.
- Eliminate open-access condiment, topping stations, self-service cutlery and napkin stations.
- Eliminate buffets and ensure all food items are shielded from guests.
- Effective sanitization and social distancing at games, perhaps with the use of gloves (not confirmed as of yet).
- Guests with booking will receive stay safe information prior to visit.
- Social Distancing messaging on Six Flags TV.
- Social Distancing signage throughout the park (with good hand hygiene signage said to be displayed conspicuously)
- Mandatory COVID-19 Training for all Six Flags Employees
This list outlines the measures being put into place which are inevitably very similar to the guidelines that are being put into place by all theme parks. The mandatory mask wearing for over 2 years olds will no doubt put many guests off visiting the Six Flags theme parks when they reopen. The no contact security check should be a very welcome addition to park protocol.
The full list of all Health and Safety Protocols for Six Flags, Frontier City can be seen here. It has been described as a "living document" so will be updated accordingly, so always check before you visit.
Some changes to the safety measures implemented in each individual Six Flags park may indeed occur, based on local government guidelines and will be able to be checked on each parks official website.
Check out our News Page and Facebook Page daily to keep up to date with all the latest announcements from the Six Flags Parks, as well as Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld and all other theme parks across the US, UK and around the World.
We understand that our readers are missing the parks and we know the news is swamped with COVID-19 updates and information so we have been trying to continue to publish interesting and relevant features for you to read during this time. If you fancy a chilled few minutes, here is a list of our most recent features:
- Remember Any of These 8 Video Games That Brought Disney Parks to YOU/ You Might Be Surprised...
- 8 Things That 2000's Kids LOVED at Walt Disney World
- Search for GIANT Hidden Mickeys in This Google Maps Scavenger Hunt from Home!
- 9 Things Every 90's Kid LOVED at Walt Disney World
To see all of our latest features visit our Features Page.