This week at Walt Disney World, the biggest news was the date announcement for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, which is now confirmed to be opening before the end of the year. However, there are quite a number of other things happening this week as well, including the opening of a brand new resort expansion!
Outside Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando brings back a passholder appreciation event, Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure gets another operational change, plus
1. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to open later this year
Though Disneyland's version of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge was open first, it looks like Walt Disney World's version will be the first to be complete, as Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is set to open at Disney's Hollywood Studios before the end of the year, on December 5, 2019, just in time for the busy holiday season!
2. Mickey and Minnie's Surprise Celebration to end September 30
Mickey and Minnie’s Surprise Celebration at Magic Kingdom, will officially come to an end on September 30, which means guests only have a few more weeks to experience the following:
- Mickey and Minnie greeting guests together inside Town Square Theater, sporting all-new colorful outfits for their special celebration.
- The re-imagined Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party
- Surprise characters meeting guests at the flagpole on Main Street USA. Characters may include (but are not limited to) Nick and Judy from Zootopia, Remy and Emile from Ratatouille, and Robin Hood and Friar Tuck from Robin Hood.
3. Gran Destino Tower now open
This week Walt Disney World opened the Gran Destino Tower at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, which adds 545 modern guest rooms (including 50 suites and club-level services), a grand two-story lobby, new meeting venues, new lounges and a rooftop restaurant with spectacular views