Disney Springs has become quite the subject of controversy for the past few years, with some outspoken fans saying this re-imagined shopping district has become too much like an outlet mall and isn’t really keeping with the “spirit” of the former Downtown Disney district any more. However, no matter how you feel about the changing face of this location, in the three years since this shopping district officially re-opened, Disney has been making a lot of changes, opening new stores, offering great deals, and even hosting some character-based events.
1. Bongos Cuban Cafe to close later this year
Though not officially announced, employees at Bongo's Cuban Cafe have reportedly been told that the restaurant will be closing later this year. Though not a hugely popular establishment, this restaurant (which is owned by Gloria and Emilio Estefan) is one of the oldest eateries at Disney Springs, as it opened over 20 years ago in 1997. We don't know exactly when this closing will occur (or what will replace this establishment), but hopefully we'll hear more soon.
2. The Trophy Room at Disney Springs to close May 31st
And speaking of closings, The Trophy Store, which is inspired by Michael Jordan's Trophy Room and sells sneakers and sports memorabilia, will be closing its Disney Springs location on May 31st. After this time this brand will be shifting operations to online-only as the boutique relocates in the Orlando area.
3. Disney Springs Hotels offering "Spring into Summer" rates
Seven of the Disney Springs Resort Area Hotels are offering a special "Spring into Summer" discount valid for stays at the beginning of summer from May 7 to June 30, 2019. Here's the full breakdown of the discounts by hotel:
- B Resort & Spa – rates from $89 per room, per night
- Best Western Lake Buena Vista – rates from $95 per room, per night
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Orlando -- rates from $99 per suite, per night
- Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace – rates from $127 per room, per night
- Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista – rates from $122 per room, per night
- Holiday Inn Orlando - Disney Springs Area -- rates from $95 per room, per night
- Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista – rates from $80 per room, per night
4. Aladdin MAC preview event happening May 15th
Disney's live action Aladdin film debuts later this month, and in celebration of this new film MAC cosmetics will be releasing their new line of cosmetics inspired by this film a day early at Disney Springs. Guests can visit Waterview Park in The Landing on May 15, from noon-10 p.m. to explore the wonders of Agrabah and leave with their own treasure from MAC. Inspired by Disney’s live action “Aladdin,” the new collectible products celebrate Jasmine and everyone’s inner princess. As part of the celebration, Guests will be able to enjoy a few surprises and create a personalized look with a MAC Artist.