This week at Walt Disney World, a special Haunted Mansion event is announced, the Disney Villains come to the Magic Kingdom After Hours, plus Epcot kicks off its Food and Wine Festival...on the same day as the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opening!
Programming note: Though we normally devote some time to Orlando-area parks outside Lake Buena Vista, there has been so much going on at Walt Disney World over the past seven days that we decided to forgo the “beyond” this week. You’ll hear about all the news from Universal Orlando Resort, Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld Orlando in next week’s update!
1. 2019 Epcot Food and Wine Festival kicks off August 29
Disney has announced that the 2019 Epcot Food and Wine Festival will be longer than ever at 87 days, running from August 29 to November 23 2019. And if that opening date sounds familiar to you, that might be because it is also the day that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is either insane from an operations standpoint or clever counterprogramming.
2. Bo Peep meet and greet coming to Toy Story Land this summer
Just in time for the summer opening of Toy Story 4, a new character will be coming to meet guests this summer: Bo PeepT This new character will be appearing in Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios, joining characters Woody, Buzz and Jessie. No specific start date has been confirmed yet, but we will likely learn more about this upcoming character experience in just a few weeks.
3. Haunted Mansion gets on-Ride PhotoPass Photo and limited-time one-day event
This week Disney added an on-ride PhotoPass capture that takes photos of guests in their Doom Buggies surrounded by playful spirits, and in celebration of this new addition (which happens to be the 13th PhotoPass on-ride addition at the Magic Kingdom) Disney is hosting a special one-day event next week on April 13th, which will include the following:
- Beginning at 9:00 AM, there will be a photographer near the exit of the Haunted Mansion offering a “Tomb Sweet Tomb” prop, available during daylight hours. This photographer will also capture a chilling Animated Magic Shot.
- Fans dead set on capturing even more frightfully fun photos, the photographer near the hearse in front of the Haunted Mansion will possess the ability to make the Hitchhiking Ghosts appear in their photo.
- In addition, guest can come head to head with a Hatbox Ghost Magic Shot when they visit the photographer near the entrance to the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- In the evening, hurry back for a few more spook-tacular photos! The photographer outside of Memento Mori will capture the orbs that surround this eerie estate. Weird glows gleam where spirits dwell!
- Guests also find the caretaker’s lantern available near the Haunted Mansion exit after sundown.
Inspired by the famous clock inside of the Haunted Mansion, a special Midnight Fright Delight “browkie” will be available at the Liberty Square Market for $6.99 + tax.
The Cadaver Dans ghostly quartet will make a special appearance, conjuring up scary-good tunes after the sun goes down in Liberty Square.