This week at Walt Disney World, several refurbishments are scheduled for the Magic Kingdom. Captain Jack makes an unexpected return to this park, plus a Disney Junior favorite leaves Disney's Hollywood Studios to make way for Vampirina
Outside Walt Disney World, Aquatica announces a new water slide for 2019, plus Busch Gardens Tampa and SeaWorld Orlando announce a new tier system for their annual passes.
1. Captain Jack Sparrow returns to Magic Kingdom as a character meet and greet
Late last month, on September 29th, Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial, which has been part of the Adventureland lineup at the Magic Kingdom since 2006,sailed off into the sunset. However, as of this week, guests can now meet Captain Jack Sparrow daily in the same place where the Pirate Tutorial was once held. Character greeting times are now available in the Magic Kingdom's times guide.
2. Several refurbishment dates announced for Magic Kingdom
Several upcoming refurbishments were announced this week for the Magic Kingdom, including one that is set to kick off in just a few weeks:
- Tom Sawyer Island: This attraction will be closed from October 14th through December 21st, 2018. Though no reason was given for this sudden refurbishment, its closure could be related to the ongoing Liberty Square Riverboat refurbishment
- The Walt Disney World Railroad: This attraction will be closing on December 2 for a lengthy refurbishment reportedly to make adjustments to the track for the upcoming Tron roller coaster attraction, which will be ramping up construction in the new year. And though we don't know how long this attraction will be closed (some speculate it could be a year or more before we can re-experience the Walt Disney World Railroad) the actual train itself will be staying at the Main Street Station during this lengthy refurbishment.
- The Tomorrowland Speedway: This guest favorite will be closing on January 2, 2019, just after the holiday season, so that changes can be made to the track are made to accomodate the aforementioned Tron attraction. However, though we don't know when the Walt Disney World Railroad, Disney is projecting a May reopening for this attraction