Though it might not seem like it, Disney has been quietly testing a number of new access strategies for specific lands and attractions in 2018, presumably in preparation for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in 2019.
Earlier this year, Walt Disney World made waves when it began charging certain guests for premium FastPass+ reservations that can be made before the 60 day window opens up for regular resort guests, allowing their highest-paying guests to have the opportunity to pay a fee and essentially get whatever FastPass+ reservations they wanted. And then just a few weeks ago, Disney began bundling pre-made FastPass+ reservations with certain ticket types. And now they are testing yet another strategy to guarantee Toy Story Land access to a specific group. And perhaps unsurprisingly, this one involves a "package" deal.
1. Toy Story Land access now bundled with fall vacation package
Earlier this week Disney announced the new Ultimate Disney Fall Into Magic Package, which includes exclusive experiences, including access to Toy Story Land. The limited-time deal includes a five-night stay at a select Disney Resort hotel for guest arrival on September 3 and departure on September 8, and includes four-day Magic Your Way tickets as well as an itinerary full of scheduled experiences in all four Theme Parks, including exclusive access to the brand new Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Here's the full itinerary for this new package:
- September 3 – Guests arrive at Walt Disney World Resort.
- September 4 – Epcot - Exclusive welcome dinner party inspired by Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- September 5 – Disney’s Animal Kingdom - A Nighttime Kilimanjaro Safaris Adventure, exclusive “Rivers of Light” viewing just for guests on this package.
- September 6 – Disney’s Hollywood Studios - Play around with two hours of exclusive evening access to Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios from 10:00 PM to Midnight.
- September 7 – Magic Kingdom Park - Access to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.
- September 8 – Guests depart Walt Disney World Resort.
This new package will cost $149 per person, per night, for a family of four in a Standard Room at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, for a total package price of $2,980, which isn't too expensive with the options available and tickets included. And while this isn't exactly an upcharge experience, this new "bundle" may be an indicator of things to come for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
It cannot be overstated how much Disney is bracing for what they are expecting to be the biggest single land opening in Walt Disney World's history late next year. Bookings are not yet available for late 2019 yet, but when they are, you can bet that Disney will be selling as many "add-ons" that guarantee access to this land in some way as possible. Whether that is through a paid-for FastPass+ reservation, extra Extra Magic Hours, or bundled packages like the one above, Disney is definitely going to try and get guests in and out of this upcoming land as efficiently as possible during its early years.