This weekend Disney will be celebrating the landmark 20th anniversary of Disney's Animal Kingdom and to commemorate this landmark event the park will be making some changes this weekend that fans of this park should definitely know about. From the official opening of a new show to the release of a new line of limited-edition merchandise and tour options, here are all the things happening at Disney's Animal Kingdom for its 20th birthday!
1. UP! A Great Bird Adventure officially debuts
UP! A Great Bird Adventure show will officially debut this weekend, and is a "continuation" of the Flights of Wonder show that will offer guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure at the Caravan Theater in Anandapur village. Several guests have already gotten a sneak peek of this new show this week as Disney's Animal Kingdom has had several test performances over the past few days, and interestingly, the reception seems to be mixed, as there are less bird interactions and the characters don't seem to integrate naturally with the show. You can check out a video of one of the earliest test performances here.
2. New 20th anniversary tour to be offered at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom will be offering a new limited time tour for the park's 20th anniversary. Called A Path Less Traveled - Disney's Animal Kingdom 20th Anniversary, this $59 tour will begin at 10:30am, and include a snack, as well as the following activities:
- A Visit to Rafiki's Planet Watch – Go backstage and learn about the animal care program at our state-of-the-art veterinary hospital. You’ll also get a behind-the-scenes peek at the Animal Nutrition Center—the meal prep headquarters for more than 1,500 animal residents.
- Birds Nest Exploration – Play conservationist and check on the homes of the purple martins, a species that migrates here every year.
- Unforgettable Elephant Encounters – Delve into the wondrous world of our park's largest inhabitants during a one-hour Caring for Giants tour.
- VIP Viewing of Rivers of Light – Watch the park’s newest nighttime show along the water from the comfort of a premium seat.
This new tour actually kicked off earlier this month and will be offered daily through May 5th, so guests who want to take part should make sure to sign up soon either in the park or by calling 407-WDW-PLAY (online reservations are not available).
3. Tiffins Talks dining experience kicks off
Another limited time upcharge experience kicking off this weekend is Tiffins Talks, which is series of themed dinners hosted by animal experts inside the signature Tiffins restaurant. Costing $165 per person (tax and gratuity included), guests who check out this upcharge will be able to enjoy specialty food and beverages while learning more about the history of Disney's Animal Kingdom from an expert who has had a hand in the development or maintenance of the park. We have more information on this experience here.