Disney Springs has become quite the subject of controversy for the past few years, with some outspoken fans saying this re-imagined shopping district has become too much like an outlet mall and isn’t really keeping with the “spirit” of the former Downtown Disney district any more. However, no matter how you feel about the changing face of this location, in the two years since this shopping district opened, Disney has been making a lot of changes, opening new stores, offering great deals, and even hosting some character-based events.
This week, a brand new family event kicks off a month-long celebration, new stores are now open just in time for the holiday shopping season, plus limited-time discounts are now available
1. New Coco-inspired family event kicks off this weekend
Disney-Pixar's newest film Coco will be making its debut in theaters in just a few weeks on November 22, and to celebrate Disney Springs is hosting a special family-friendly fiesta that kicks off this weekend on October 27th, and will happen every day through November 26.
Guests who visit the West Side of Disney Springs will get to experience the vibrant world of “Coco” through themed food, music and décor daily, from 6-10 PM. In addition, guests who visit the Exposition Park area of the shopping district will host face painting and activities for kids on the weekends Fridays through Sundays. Disney Springs’ Street Tacos food truck will also be serving vanilla flan for a limited time along with their signature taco offerings.
2. Concept art for the NBA Experience at Disney Springs released
Disney has announced that the NBA Experience will open in the summer of 2019 on the West Side at Disney Springs, and have also released the above concept art for the new facility, which is being constructed where DisneyQuest formerly stood. This state-of-the-art space will be inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country, and will include interactive games and competitions, immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant.
3. Three new stores now open
Four new stores have joined the lineup at Disney Springs just in time for the holiday season
- Bowes Signature Soy Candles: found inside the Marketplace Co-Op, this location sells candles that are made with cotton, eco-friendly wicks and 100 percent natural soy wax. Each candle is hand-poured, highly-scented and labeled in Orlando. The store offers over 100 different candle varieties during the year, and guests can even customize their own candle with a scent they create.
- Swings N’ Things: This kiosk is located near Cookes of Dublin, and offers both hammocks and porch swings. Guests can also take a load off and "try" out some of the merchandise!
- Savannah Bee Company: Located near The Ganachery, this retailer sells unique, rare and delicious honeys as well as natural health and beauty products. They also host a Mead Tasting Bar.