Though Walt Disney World is no stranger to tropical weather, it looks like for the second time in as many years the resort is being threatened by a major tropical system. Hurricane Irma is officially on its way to Florida and has central Florida's theme parks, including Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando Resort, and SeaWorld Orlando in its crosshairs according to current tracks
Now, while Walt Disney World has plenty of safeguards in place for guests staying on property during severe weather, the resort has now officially started
Special event closures have been announced with full park closures expected soon
Now that all of the hurricane tracks are all predicting some kind of Central Florida landfall for Hurricane Irma, most major parks have gone ahead and cancelled special events and done some preliminary closures ahead of the storm, including the following:Walt Disney World
- [Update 10:00 AM September 8] Dining reservations for September 10 and 11 have been frozen. Additionally, Disney will not be enforcing their cancellation fees effective immediately through Monday, September 11.
- Night of Joy for Saturday, September 9 has been canceled
- Disney's Typhoon Lagoon is scheduled to be closed September 8 and 9
- Disney Springs' Characters in Flight balloon experience is closed now through September 13.
- The Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party event on Sunday, September 10 has been cancelled. Guests can call (407) 939-7818 to discuss refunds or re-booking.
- Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed, and will likely be evacuated. All performances of Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ are cancelled on September 9, 10, and 11
- Disney’s Fantasia Gardens and Disney’s Winter Summerland will close at 9 p.m. on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
- The Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort is cancelled on September 9.
The Highway in the Sky Dine Aroundfor September 9th has been canceled
- What’s Cooking with Alex Guarnaschelli at Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival on Sunday, September 10 has been canceled
- Mix It, Make It, Celebrate It Event at Epcot’s Food & Wine Festival on Monday, September 11 and Tuesday, September 12 has been canceled
The Rock the Universe event at Universal Studios Florida will take place as planned on Friday, September 8, but the Saturday night Rock the Universe event has been canceled. The early morning Sunday Worship Service has also been cancelled.
- [Update 10:00 AM September 8] SeaWorld Orlando will close Saturday September 9 at 5pm and remain closed Sunday and Monday
- Aquatica will be closed all day Saturday through Monday
- No major closures announced yet
- Guy Harvey Weekend has been postponed to December 16 & 17