Though it may not initially seem like it, Walt Disney World has truly come into its own in recent years as a real food lover’s paradise. If you count yourself as one of the many who love eating their way around the Walt Disney World parks and resorts, there are some big changes taking effect right now you should know about.
For June's dining update, we take a look at a new technology expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom, new menu items at a Future World favorite, and we even get an advance look at some of the dishes that will be available at this fall's Epcot International Food and Wine Festival.
1. Mobile Order feature expands at Disney's Animal Kingdom
Walt Disney World's Mobile Order feature launched just a few weeks ago at the new Satu'li Canteen in Pandora - The World of Avatar, and it looks like this new option, which allows guests to order and pay for meals in advance inside the My Disney Experience app, has proven to be quite a popular choice, as Disney has confirmed that this feature is now available at the Pizzafari quick service restaurant, and will be expanding to Restaurantosaurus and the Harmabe Market in the next few weeks.
This ordering option has proven to be quite popular with guests, and though it cannot be used with the Disney Dining Plan (and has a few other limitations), the expansion of this option should hopefully help quick service restaurants run a little faster at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer, and we can't wait to see it expand to other parks later this year.
2. Coral Reef Restaurant gets new menu items
Though the Coral Reef Restaurant is one of the most unique dining locations at Walt Disney World thanks to its aquarium views, this dining location often gets overshadowed by some of its World Showcase neighbors at Epcot. However, it looks like Disney is looking to reinvigorate this table service option by introducing some exciting new menu items, including the following:
- Charbroiled octopus with nori sushi rice, sesame slaw and a soy reduction;
- Lump crab cake with watercress-citrus salad and a classic remoulade
- Seafood salad with Gulf Shrimp and mahi mahi in a citrus marinade with a little kick from serrano peppers, a little sweetness from mango sorbet and crisp plantain chip, and a seasonal house salad
- Tuna bowl with spice-crusted tuna, rice noodles, charred bok choy, crisp shiitakes, pickled vegetables and broth (substitute tofu for tuna if you prefer);
- Bone-in roasted pork chop with potatoes, creamy pimento cheese, braised greens and a honey-barbecue vinaigrette.
- Citrus bread pudding with whiskey sauce, candied pecans and salted caramel gelato