Disney Springs has become quite the subject of controversy for the past few years, with some outspoken fans saying this re-imagined shopping district has become too much like an outlet mall and isn’t really keeping with the “spirit” of the former Downtown Disney district any more. However, no matter how you feel about the changing face of this location, in the two years since this shopping district opened, Disney has been making a lot of changes, opening new stores, offering great deals, and even hosting some character-based events.
With this summer projected to bring a record number of guests to Walt Disney World, Disney Springs is gearing up to handle increased crowds with a number of changes. However, first we have to acknowledge an unfortunate closing happening in just a few weeks...
1. It's finally the end of the line for DisneyQuest
Though DisneyQuest was announced to be closing nearly two years ago, Disney didn't commit to a closing date until earlier this year, confirming back in January that this location will close its doors forever on July 3, 2017. And though this gave fans almost six months to make one final stop at the location that was once billed as the “theme park of the future”, Disney hasn't exactly been making a big fuss about this location's final days of operation, and its easy to forget that we're only a few weeks away from saying goodbye to this piece of Disney history.
2. Disney Springs to host Springs Street Eats Food Truck Rally next month
Disney Springs has announced that next month on June 2nd and 3rd, it will host a new Springs Street Eats special event, which will feature eight food trucks, including Disney operated trucks and local favorites. Here's the lineup:
- Fantasy Fare – Treat your senses to fan favorites found at Disney theme parks around the world – like the famous Hand-dipped Corn Dog!
- World Showcase of Flavors – Try signature sandwiches inspired by the cuisine featured at the Global Marketplaces during the annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Caketeer – Offers high quality gourmet cupcake and custom cake products throughout the Downtown Orlando and Central Florida area, made using the finest culinary-grade ingredients.
- Philly’s Best Cheesesteaks – The best cheesesteaks in or out of Philly are on the prowl on the streets of Florida! Philly’s Best Cheesesteaks are serving up hot and fresh cheesesteak sandwiches just for you! Real Philly Cheesesteaks, you just can’t get any better than that!
- 900 Degreez Pizza – This converted container food truck features a bespoke imported Italian wood-fired oven that can cook a pizza in an unbelievable 90 seconds. The food truck façade features an all-glass panel that allows customers to view the chefs at work.
- Magic 4 UR Palate – Maintaining a high standard and quality to creativity, our dishes are appealing to the eye and at the same time arouse the taste buds, leading you to crave more.
- The London Fish and Chippy – Homemade beer batter is the perfect dip for preparing specialty haddock fish and chips. Bringing seafood lovers a vast selection of fresh fried seafood you will enjoy.
- Tikiz Shaved Ice – Bringing sweets to the streets, Tikiz Shaved Ice is the ice cream truck of the future! Offering Ice Cream as well as refreshing Hawaiian Shaved Ice where Guests can dispense their own custom shaved ice syrup creations.
You'll find these food trucks on the West Side of Disney Springs, near Cirque de Soleil on June 2 from 4pm to 11pm, and June 3 from noon until 11pm.