Though Disney’s Hollywood Studios has been introducing a number of limited time attractions and events to help keep guests coming to the park (despite the fact that more than half of it is now behind walls), one event that has been sorely missed by fans of this park is Star Wars Weekends. Disney sadly cancelled this event in 2015, with the official reason being that the increasing presence of the Star Wars franchise in the park made this annual event redundant.
However, it looks like Disney has apparently walked back on this position, at least partially, and has introduced a new limited-time Star Wars event that will kick off this spring. This new event will include limited-time character meet and greets, celebrity interview panels, and of course special merchandise available for purchase. But there’s going to be one BIG difference between this new event and the erstwhile Star Wars Weekends: this time, guests are going to have to pay.
Introducing Star Wars: Galactic Nights
Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios on April 14, Star Wars: Galactic Nights is a new (currently one-night only) event that will take place after hours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios from 7:00PM to 12:00AM. Costing $129 per adult ($124 per child) guests who purchase a ticket will be encouraged to attend this event in costume in order to have the ultimate Star Wars-themed evening at the park. In addition to special Star Wars character meet and greets, galactic-themed treats and merchandise, there will also be some special entertainment during this special night, including the following:
- “Rebel Base” activities in the center of the park including dance parties, trivia and special shows.
- Inside the Saga: Celebrity Chat Show panel featuring special guests talking about the making of Star Wars films.
- Star Wars photo ops against iconic Star Wars backdrops, including Han Solo cast in carbonite, Jabba the Hutt’s Palace, the Hoth Wampa Cave and more.
- Galactic Nights Stars in Cars Motorcade which will feature Star Wars celebrities and characters marching down Hollywood Blvd.
- Imperial March & March of the First Order – Darth Vader will lead a battalion of stormtroopers on a dramatic march down Hollywood Blvd to the Event Stage and Captain Phasma will also lead a unit of First Order stormtroopers through the park, pausing to give a demonstration of power and strength.
- Seize the Saga Interactive Scavenger Hunt - this family-friendly challenge will allow guests to collect Star Wars themed pieces at the photo backdrops throughout the park, revealing a surprise when all items have been collected.
Of course, what remains to be seen is what talent Disney will line up for Star Wars: Galactic Nights. This new event is taking place during the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando, so we'd assume there will be some appearances from celebrity guests confirmed for that event, even though nothing has been confirmed yet.
In addition to the special entertainment detailed above, the following attractions will also be available for guests to experience during this very special night:
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Star Wars: Path of the Jedi
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- Toy Story Mania!
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
- The Great Movie Ride
- Muppet*Vision 3D
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Though it looks like much of this event is being copy and pasted from previous Star Wars events at Disney's Hollywood Studios, the idea of charging for something that was previously included with the cost of admission probably shouldn't be too surprising considering some other recent trends at Walt Disney World...