Dark rides at US theme parks often steal a lot of attention due to their sheer scale and imaginative flair. The likes of Pirates of the Caribbean, The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey often appear on "top 10" lists - but does the UK have anything to match them? That's the subject for this week's Big Debate.
People's opinions often vary, so a fantastic ride for one visitor might be an awful ride for another. This is your chance to let us know which dark ride in the UK you think is the best.
We've already outlined our own view of the top 5 dark rides in the UK. The attractions that made the cut were:
- Over the Hill at Adventure Island - 'The Undertaker' takes guests on a train tour of a spooky cemetery. The only problem is that many people who have boarded the train have failed to reappear...
- Tomb Blaster at Chessington World of Adventures - How do you fancy being sent into a tomb with a laser gun to rid it of its evil curse? The massive snake and revolving tunnels certainly keep you on your toes!
- Hex at Alton Towers - you are taken deep into a secret vault where numerous experiments are carried out to try and expel an evil curse. Few dark rides feature a more atmospheric setting - Hex is housed inside the gothic mansion that lends Alton Towers its name.
- The London Dungeon - you are guided around historic London and there are certainly lots of frights and surprises to keep you interested. The tour includes Traitor: The Boat Ride to Hell, Vengence (a 5D shooting ride) and a drop tower imitating an actual hanging. It is a surprisingly family-friendly attraction but not for the faint hearted!
- Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach - this water ride tells the tale of the Viking afterlife and is heavily themed to create an amazing experience from start to finish. It includes numerous special effects including fireballs, strong winds and snow, and features two steep drops. Anyone who has braved Valhalla will know there's no way of escaping without getting soaked from head to toe!
Why not let us know which dark ride you think is the best in the Uk by voting in our poll below. If you have a favourite which isn't on the list we would love to hear about it through the comments section below.
Which is the best dark ride at a UK theme park?
Share your thoughts
Thanks for voting in Theme Park Tourist's Big Debate. Why not let us know why you voted as you did using the comments section below?