SeaWorld Orlando is gearing up for its 2011 Christmas Celebration events, with the Wild Arctic simulator once again set to receive a Polar Express overlay.
The events will run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from November 25 - December 11, and nightly from December 16-31. The Polar Express Experience will return for the fifth year running, and will be joined by a range of special Christmas shows and an expanded "Sea of Trees" display around the park's central lake.
The Polar Express experience features a 3-minute pre-show to establish the backstory, which is based on the Warner Bros movie starring Tom Hanks. The Wild Arctic ride system is then used to recreate key scenes from the movie, many of which were designed for IMAX theatres and therefore translate well into the simulator experience.
Having debuted in 2010, Sea of Trees will be expanded this year to feature 100 Christmas trees. Lights on the trees are used to create "dancing" reflections on the water, in time with popular holiday tunes.
The six shows running at SeaWorld over the Christmas period are:
- O Wondrous Night - The Greatest Story Never Told - a new take on the Christmas story, told through the eyes of live animals.
- Winter Wonderland on Ice - an ice-skating show at the Bayside Stadium.
- Clyde and Seamore's Countdown to Christmas - a special seasonal version of the sea lion's standard comic show.
- A Sesame Street Christmas - starring the Muppets from the children's TV show.
- Shamu Christmas...Miracles - returning from previous years, starring killer whale Shamu.
- Holiday Reflections - a special Christmas version of SeaWorld's popular fireworks show.
For full details of SeaWorld's Orlando Christmas Celebration 2011 events, see the event page on the park's website.