Avatar and theme park fans will be buzzing with excitement after the announcement this week that Disney has partnered with James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the idyllic planet of Pandora to life at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2016.
It also looks likely that other Disney parks around the world may also be in for a slice of the Pandora magic in years to come, with Disney clinching the global rights to create theme park rides based on the movie. With two sequels for the highly acclaimed Avatar in the pipeline, the hype surrounding the new land is set to really explode as the Imagineers start flexing their creative muscles and plans become clearer of what we can expect.
I am blown away by the prospect of being able to visit the planet of Pandora and my head is filled with ideas of the perfect rides I would just love to see included. It is therefore obvious that this week's Big Debate had to focus on this and asks "What types of attraction would you most like to see in the Avatar land at Disney's Animal Kingdom?"
What would you most like to see in Avatar land?The list of potential rides, shows and other attractions for an Avatar land is almost endless. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Rollercoaster - Can you imagine strapping into a coaster and being blasted around the luscious forested expanses of Pandora as if you were one of the Na'vi people taking flight on an Ikran? The options are endless for a super rollercoaster set in the heart of the new land.
- Dark Ride - One of my favorite types of ride is the dark ride where the latest technological effects are often used to their best advantage. Could Disney top Harry Potter at the Forbidden Journey at Universal's Islands of Adventure?
- 4D Cinema - Perhaps an obvious choice would be a 4D cinema to extend guests' submersion in the world of Pandora. A new section of film could be created to offer further insight into the lives of the Na'vi people.
- Drop Tower - A fantastic way of giving amazing views over the new land could be through the use of a drop tower and I'm sure Disney could shake a bit of fairy dust to create a slightly different slant on this traditional attraction (as it has already proved with the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror).
- Water ride - This could be an opportunity for Disney to add another water ride to Animal Kingdom. This would surely score a few votes with those guests visiting in the sweltering Florida summer months and how idyllic would a splash of water be in the middle of beautiful Pandora?
Let us know which type of ride you would like to see in Avatar Land by voting in our poll below:
What should Disney's first Avatar attraction be?
Share your thoughts
Thanks for voting in Theme Park Tourist's Big Debate. Why not let us know why you voted as you did using the comments section below?