The timeline for the Fantasyland expansion at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom has been revealed, including target opening periods for several new attractions.
The timeline was revealed by Walt Disney Imagineer Scott Mallwitz in an interview with Inside the Magic. While Disney has previously only announced that the expansion will open in phases "by 2013", the new set of dates shows that the full area will not be operational until late in that year.
The full set of target opening windows is:
- Now - the Hundred Acre Wood facade for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride is already open.
- Early 2012 - half of the new Storybook Circus area will open, featuring side-by-side Dumbo the Flying Elephant rides, along with the rebranded Barnstormer - hosted by the Great Goofini rollercoaster, Fantasyland Train Station and Casey Jr train ride.
- Late 2012 - Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid will open, being almost identical to The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure at Disney California Adventure.
- Early 2013 - the rest of Storybook Circus will open, featuring Pete’s Silly Sideshow (full details of which are yet to be revealed).
- Late 2013 - the debut of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train rollercoaster, the last of the new additions to be announced.
Full details of the timeline, plus an extensive video interview with Scott Mallwitz, can be found on Inside the Magic. Details of the new additions to the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland can be found in Theme Park Tourist's news story, while you can also learn more about the last ride to open in our article Fact or Fiction? Seven rumors about Disney's Seven Dwarfs Mine Train rollercoaster.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.