Universal Orlando has released an official mobile application for Android and iPhone devices, which is designed to help guests navigate their way around the resort's theme parks.
The application features interactive maps, descriptions of rides and dining locations and integration with Facebook and Twitter. However, it does not currently display wait times for attractions at Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure, a feature that is already available in some third-party apps. It can be downloaded for free via the iPhone App Store or the Android Market.
The full feature list for the Universal Orlando Resort's app includes:
- GPS-based guides for Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure and the CityWalk nighttime entertainment district.
- Interactive maps that pinpoint the user's location.
- Attraction and restaurant information, including facts and photos.
- The ability to make dining reservations.
- A "check in" feature that is integrated with Facebook and Twitter.
- A check-in game which offers the opportunity to win a savings guide worth up to $150.
Universal Orlando is following in the footsteps of many other theme park operators in releasing a free mobile app. Rival Disney has shied away from the free approach, instead offering the paid-for Mobile Magic service exclusively to Verizon Wireless subscribers.