Walt Disney World has revealed further details of its Fantasyland expansion project, including new information about some of the area's smaller attractions.
The expansion is due to open in phases starting in late 2012, and will feature a range of all-new and updated attractions. The headline additions will be the Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid dark ride and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train rollercoaster, while several new restaurants and retail outlets will also be added to the Fantasyland area.
The new details were revealed on the Walt Disney World website, and subsequently reported by Stitch Kingdom. The Fantasyland expansion page on the official website has since been removed. Further details were also reported by DisZine following a press event, with the key updates from both sources summarised below:
- Casey Jr Roundhouse - a small water play area will be located next to the Fantasyland Train Station, with children able to splash among model animals that will squirt water at them.
- Scuttle's Scavenger Hunt - this interactive game will see guests joining the Scuttle character from the Little Mermaid movies, challenging them to find the "seagull's treasures" in the Human World.
- Belle's Village - the area that will house the Beast's Castle and Gaston's Tavern eateries is claimed to be close to completion, with the castle already highly visible.
- Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid - although the new ride will be virtually identical to The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure at Disney California Adventure, it will feature a significantly different facade. The Magic Kingdom's version will include a recreation of Prince Eric's castle.
- Barnstomer - the rollercoaster will still receive an updated theme, but plans to rename it as "Goofy and the Great Goofini" have been dropped. Instead, it will be known as "Barnstormer - hosted by the Great Goofini".
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.