Worlds of Fun has announced that the vintage carousel that was formerly located at Geauga Lake will be moving to the park in time for the 2011 season.
The 1926 Illions Supreme carousel is one of just five such attractions ever built and will be one of only two still in operation. The park will spend $2 million on renovating the carousel and moving Festhaus, its largest catering facility, to make way for it. Festhaus will be rebuilt as a permanent structure elsewhere in the park, and will also reopen in 2011.
The carousel was built in 1926 by M.C. Illions, who hand-carved 64 jumping horses and two chariots for riders to sit on. After a short stint at the Sesqui-Centennial Celebration held in Philadelphia in 1926, it was moved to Birmingham Alabama, before being being relocated again to New York's Coney Island to undergo restoration work. It operated at Geauga Lake from 1937 to 2007, before Cedar Fair (which owns both Geauga Lake and Worlds of Fun) announced that the park would operate solely as a water park from then on.
Carousel Works, Inc. will be responsible for restoring the Illions Supreme before its installation at Worlds of Fun. The full restoration and installation of the ride will be covered on the Ultimate Restorations TV show.
In addition to the restored carousel, Worlds of Fun will also spend $6 million on converting its Camp Snoopy area into Planey Snoopy ahead of the 2011 season. Six brand new rides will be added to the area, all of which are themed versions of traditional "kiddie" attractions.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.