SeaWorld San Antonio has announced the addition of Sesame Street: Bay of Play, a new child-friendly area which will open for the 2011 season.
Based on the popular childrens' TV series, the new area will replace the existing Shamu's Happy Harbor land. It will be home to several all-new rides themed around famous Sesame Street characters, while the park's 4-D theater will also show the Sesame Street presents Lights, Camera, Imagination! movie at regular intervals.
The rides located in Sesame Street: Bay of Play will be:
- Big Bird's Spinning Reef - a themed ferris wheel.
- Elmo's Dolphin Dive - a miniature vertical drop ride.
- Abby Cadabby's Rocking Wave - a ride in which guests board a boat that rocks forwards, backwards and sideways.
- Carousel - a colorful merry-go-round featuring Sesame Street characters.
- Little Bird's Splash - a water play area featuring bubblers, geysers, jets and dumping buckets.
- Big Bird's 1-2-3 Smile with Me - a meet-and-greet area where kids can have a photo taken with their favorite Sesame Street character.
- Musical performances - Elmo, Abby Cadabby, Zoe and Cookie Monster will sing songs on the "Happenings" stage.
The 4-D movie, meanwhile, tells the story of Elmo and the gang's attempts to save the Sesame Street Film Festival. As with other 4-D presentations, it will feature a variety of special effects including wind, bubbles and water spray elements.
Owner SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has added Sesame Street-themed areas to a number of its other parks recently, including Busch Gardens Tampa (Sesame Street Safari of Fun) and Busch Gardens Williamsburg (Sesame Street Forest of Fun). The company also operates Sesame Place, a theme park in Bucks County, Pennsylvania that is entirely devoted to the programme.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.