Blackpool Pleasure Beach has announced that it will open the first Nickelodeon-themed attraction in the UK in 2011, at a cost of £10 million.
Nickelodeon Land will replace the existing Beaver Creek area of the seafront amusement park, and will feature more than 14 rides and shows spread across 6 acres. Construction is set to begin later this year after the busy summer season, with Pleasure Beach targeting an opening date in spring 2011.
The new land will feature a total of 9 all-new attractions as well as updated versions of 6 existing rides. Popular Nickelodeon characters including SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer and Fairly Odd Parents will be among those featured in the area. Dining locations and retail outlets will also sell Nickelodeon-branded products.
Among the attractions located in Nickelodeon Land will be:
- SpongeBob's Splash Bash - fits the description of the park's planned Mack Twist 'n' Splash ride, which combines a spinning "teacup" attraction with a Splash Battle ride that allows guests to fire jets of water at each other.
- The Rugrats' Lost River - a themed flume ride based on a quest with the Rugrats to find the mythical Temple of Spoon.
- Fairy World Taxi Spin - an "enchanted taxi ride" through the Fairy World.
- Avatar Airbender - set inside a "mystical air temple Pagoda".
- Nickelodeon Streak - a rethemed classic wooden coaster (possibly one of the current Zipper Dipper or Rollercoaster attractions).
- Blue Flyer - another rethemed coaster, aimed at younger children (possibly one of the current Zipper Dipper or Rollercoaster attractions).
- Big Circus Bounce - a "bouncy" train ride around the Big Circus.
- Backyardigans Pirate Treasure - a rethemed "Sea Storm"-style flat ride.
- Dora's World Voyage - a themed boat journey with Dora and friends.
- Diego's Rainforest Rescue - unknown flat ride (possibly a rethemed helicopter ride)
- Krusty Krab Order Up - a freefall tower ride.
- Bikini Bottom Bus Tour - a "kiddie" bus ride around the fictional undersea town.
- Boot's Beach Buggies - an on-rails car ride.
The new development at Blackpool Pleasure Beach will be part-funded by Blackpool Council, which has agreed to loan the park £5 million at a commercial rate of interest. The council hopes that the project will help generate 274 additional jobs, as well as increasing visitor spend in other areas of the coastal resort.
Nickelodeon Land will join themed lands at Dreamworld Australia and Movie Park Germany in playing host to SpongeBob and friends. Nickelodeon-themed attractions are also present at Universal's parks in Florida and Hollywood, although Nick Central areas at Cedar Fair parks were phased out in 2010 to be replaced by Planet Snoopy lands.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.