Thorpe Park has become the latest theme park to release an official application for the iPhone and iPod Touch, with its free offering available now.
The park claims that it is the first European theme park to tap into the current trend for mobile applications and launch its own official iPhone app. "Thorpe Park Official" is now available to download free of charge from Apple's iTunes App Store, and provides a range of tools designed to enhance visitors' day out at the park.
The "killer feature" of the application is likely to be live queue times, which will save users from walking across the park only to discover that an attraction is suffering from huge crowds. Thorpe Park Official also incorporates the latest trend in location-based mobile applications - augmented reality. This will enable users to point their phone's camera at any area of the park, and see information on rides, restaurants and shops overlaid on top of the live video.
The full list of features in the application is given below:
- Live queue times - live queue times for the park's attractions.
- Augmented reality - "point and discover" by aiming the iPhone's camera at the park's rides and buildings. Live queue times will be overlaid on top of the images.
- Park map - interactive park map, showing guests their current location in the park.
- Special offers - in future, the application will provide exclusive discounts and promotions for the park using Eagle Eye technology. Vouchers will be downloaded directly to the user's phone, to be scanned at the park.
- "Insane fun" - games, quizzes and facts to pass the time in queue lines.
- Park information - basic details including opening times, event information and directions.
Theme Park Tourist is currently putting together reviews of a number of mobile applications targeted at theme park users, and will review Thorpe Park Official later this year.
Have you tried Thorpe Park Official on your iPhone? Let us know what you think of it through the comments section below.