Alton Towers was hit by its second power cut in as many days on Wednesday (April 14), again resulting in the park evacuating all of its attractions.
The power outage forced the park to close its rides for over an hour, and left unfortunate guests stranded on rides such as the Skyride for a prolonged period. It followed Tuesday's power cut, which had a similar impact. The park returned to normal operations on Thursday.
On both Tuesday and Wednesday, Alton Towers extended the park's opening hours as compensation to guests for the lost riding time. In addition, the park waived its parking fees and will allow any guests who have retained their admission tickets to reuse them for free at any time during the 2010 season.
The resort's hotels and water park also suffered a loss of power on both days, along with surrounding villages and farms. Wednesday's power cut was smaller in scale, affecting 226 homes compared to the 900 homes affected by Tuesday's fault.
Alton Towers spokesperson Liz Greenwood told the Daily Mail that the consecutive power failures were a coincidence. She said: "On Tuesday, an underground cable failed and yesterday it was an overground cable. We have three separate electricity suppliers to avoid these issues, so that it happened is extraordinary."
Power cuts are likely to continue to affect Alton Towers on an infrequent basis, given the park's location in rural Staffordshire. Previous incidents, such as the loss of power in April last year, have also seen the park compensate guests by extending opening hours.