It has emerged that Six Flags may not own the rides at its closed Kentucky Kingdom theme park, jeopardising the company's plans to relocate them to its other properties.
Six Flags announced the closure of Kentucky Kingdom last week, following a failure to agree changes to the park's lease. At the time, the company promised it would look to move the park's best attractions to other Six Flags parks. However, a new report from WHAS11.com suggests that the rides are the property of the Kentucky State Fair Board, rather than the park's operator.
It is the latest twist in an ongoing dispute between Six Flags and the Fair Board, after the board rejected Six Flags proposed new lease arrangement. The company blamed the rejection for the closure of Kentucky Kingdom, while the Fair Board claims that Six Flags proposed that it pay no rent for the 9 remaining years on the lease - instead offering the state a cut of any potential future profits.
In Thursday's statement, Six Flags said it would "re-locate employees and several of the more than 40 rides and attractions to one of its 13 other markets". However, that plan has been thrown into question with the claim from the Fair Board that rides "affixed to the ground" belong to the state.
If true, the claim would even throw into doubt the ability of Six Flags to relocate the Chang rollercoaster, which was removed from Kentucky Kingdom last year. At the time, it was claimed that this was to make room for a major expansion to the Splashwater Kingdom water park, however it now appears that it was merely a precursor to the closure of the park.
There have been rumors that Six Flags is using the closure of the park to force the State Fair Board to accept its revised lease terms. However, the Fair Board has said it is not aware of changes to Six Flags plans, and the company itself described the decision as "permanent".