Canada's Wonderland has revealed details of its new Planet Snoopy area, which will include three new attractions in addition to rethemed rides from the previous Nick Central "kiddie" zone.
The new rides include Peanuts 500 (a Zamperla Speedway), Snoopy's Revolution (a Zamperla Mini Ferris Wheel) and Lucy's Tugboat (a Zamperla Rockin' Tug). The new area (which is detailed on the park's website) is due to open on May 2, when Canada's Wonderland starts its 2010 season.
The other attractions that make up Planet Snoopy are cosmetically-updated versions of ones that were previously themed around Nickelodeon and Hanna Barbera characters. These are similar to those recently announced for California's Great America, and include:
- Sally's Love Buggies - car ride, formerly Dora’s Dune Buggies
- Woodstock's Whirlybirds - helicopter ride
- Joe Cool's Dodgem School - mini-dodgem ride
- The Pumpkin Patch - spinning ride, formerly Wild Thornberrys’ Treetop Lookout
- Snoopy vs. Red Baron - plane ride
- Snoopy's Space Race - rocket ride featuring 2-passenger ships, formerly Scoobyville Rocketport
- Character Carousel - merry-go-round, formerly Hanna Barberry-Go-Round
- Ghoster Coaster - children's wooden coaster
As well as Canada's Wonderland, a number of other Cedar Fair parks have confirmed plans to replace existing Nickelodeon-themed areas with Planet Snoopy. These include Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Kings Island. Canada's Wonderland has also confirmed that all Hanna Barbera branding (including characters such as Scooby Doo) will be removed fromthe Kidzville area of the park. This includes renaming Scooby Doo’s Haunted Mansion to Boo Blasters on Boo Hill.
The move has been widely reported as a cost-cutting exercise, with both Nickelodeon and Hanna-Barbera believed to be demanding significant royalties for the use of their characters in Cedar Fair's parks. The older Peanuts cartoons may command lower royalties, although it remains to be seen whether they are as big a draw as modern characters such as Spongebob Squarepants.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter using the box on the right of this page.