California's Great America has revealed details of its new Planet Snoopy area, which will replace the Nick Central "kiddie" zone for the 2010 season.
A solitary new attraction will be added to the Snoopy-themed area, with all of the other changes involving re-theming of Nickelodeon-branded rides and shows to incorporate characters from the Peanuts comic strip. Planet Snoopy is set to open on March 28.
The attractions in Planet Snoopy will include:
- Snoopy’s Moonbounce bounce house - brand new attraction.
- Peanuts Pirates - spinning boat ride, formerly Spongebob Squarepants Boatmobiles.
- Sally’s Love Buggies - car ride, formerly Dora’s Dune Buggies.
- The Great Pumpkin Patch - spinning ride, formerly Wild Thornberrys’ Treetop Lookout.
- Woodstock’s Express - kiddie rollercoaster, formerly Rugrats Runaway Reptar.
- Peanuts Playhouse - live show, formerly Nick Theater.
- Snoopy’s Splash Dance - formerly The Rain Maze.
As well as California's Great America, a number of other Cedar Fair parks have confirmed plans to replace existing Nickelodeon-themed areas with Planet Snoopy. These include Canada's Wonderland, Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Kings Island. California's Great America has also confirmed that Hanna Barbera branding (including characters such as Scooby Doo) will be removed from the Kidzville area of the park.
The move has been widely reported as a cost-cutting exercise, with both Nickelodeon and Hanna-Barbera believed to be demanding significant royalties for the use of their characters in Cedar Fair's parks. The older Peanuts cartoons may command lower royalties, although it remains to be seen whether they are as big a draw as modern characters such as Spongebob Squarepants.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter using the box on the right of this page.