Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has revealed that the Sesame Street Safari of Fun will open at the park on March 27, 2010.
The news was revealed during a press tour of the new area, which is themed around popular children's TV show Sesame Street. It replaces the previous Land of the Dragons zone as the park's primary area for young children.
The Florida park is following in the footsteps of Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which opened its Sesame Street Forest of Fun earlier this year. Like the Williamsburg park, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is installing the "4D" show "Sesame Street presents Lights, Camera, Imagination!", which will replace the existing Pirates 4-D show.
Attractions in the 2.5 acre Safari of Fun area will include:
- Air Grover - a "kiddie" rollercoaster themed around a flight over the Sahara.
- The Count's Zambezi Rally - a car ride through desert and tribal trails.
- Zoe-Patra & the Hippos of the Nile - a flume ride.
- Snuffy's Elephant Romp - a Dumbo-style flight ride.
- Elmo's Safari Go-Round - a safari-themed carousel.
- Rosita's Djembe Fly-Away - a swing ride "through the jungle."
- Big Bird's Whirly Birdie - a miniature ferris wheel.
- Telly's Jungle Jam - a kid's play area.
- Elmo's Treehouse Trek - a 3-storey treehouse play area.
- Cookie Monster's Canopy Crawl - a 3-storey net climb.
- Slimey's Sahara Sand - an area for kids to play and parents to relax.
- Oscar's Swamp Stomp - a water play area.
- Bert & Ernie's Watering Hole - a water adventure with bubblers and geysers.
- Sunny Day Theater - Africa-themed show featuring Sesame Street characters.
To fit in with the park's African theme, popular characters from Sesame Street including Bert, Ernie and Big Bird will feature in the new zone. Guests will be able to dine with the characters, and the park will be introducing a new parade that will take place five times a day in the Safari of Fun area.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions over at Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section.