This is the weekly news, rumors and refurbishments update for Walt Disney World for the week of June 22, 2014.
Here are the three biggest updates from around the resort for the past seven days...
1. Frozen is coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios all summer long
Remember that ‘Rock Your Summer Side’ dance party thingy that was announced last week? Well… that’s over. Frozen has taken over summer at Hollywood Studios with a slew of new events and a special fireworks finale.
Starting July 5, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be hosting Frozen events throughout the day, everyday through September 1.
The events are:
- Olaf on Summer Vacation – Olaf the snowman is having the time of his life on his very first summer vacation! He chimes in throughout the day to keep everyone updated on all his adventures. Plus, you can pick up your very own Take-Along Olaf from locations in the park, so he can join you on your summer vacation. And when you share your photos with Olaf on social media, be sure to tag them with #OlafSummerVacation. They may just get selected to appear in that day’s grand finale!
- Anna and Elsa’s Royal Welcome – At 11:00 a.m. each day, Elsa and Anna arrive in Hollywood as part of their goodwill tour of neighboring kingdoms, making their way down Hollywood Boulevard in a horse-drawn sleigh. Kristoff is along for the fun, too, joined by a flurry of skaters, skiiers, ice cutters and more! The entire procession culminates in a special moment at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage to officially welcome the visiting royalty to this kingdom of Hollywoodland.
- For the First Time in Forever: A “Frozen” Sing-Along Celebration – Cool down inside the Premiere Theater, where Anna and Elsa join the Royal Historians of Arendelle for a fun and comedic retelling of the unique history of their Kingdom, filled with delightful, sing-along moments from Frozen.
- Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post & Frozen Funland – Inside Soundstage One, Oaken and his cousins have created a Frozen Funland filled with cold weather activities, unique photo opportunities, and more! There’s a frozen pond with ice skating demonstrations, wintertime fun for kids in the “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” play area, a “big summer blowout” with plenty of “Frozen” merchandise, and special Frozen-inspired food and beverage offerings.
- “Coolest Summer Ever” Dance Party – Starting at 5:30 p.m. each day, a dance party takes over the area around the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage, with a DJ, live band, and more! The band plays a variety of classic and contemporary summer rock & roll hits, as well as a cool, rocking medley of “Frozen” favorites. It’s going to be hot!
- Frozen Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of Frozen!
Rumors for Frozen at Hollywood Studios began just last week. It is speculated that this is a last minute decision made only two weeks ago. Not surprising since it is already superseding an event that was just announced last week.
Whatever your thoughts on Frozen are, I believe Disney is making the right move. They’re adding entertainment that would otherwise not exist in a park that desperately needs it. Nightly fireworks are almost unheard of at the Studios and the production crew is apparently scrambling for supplies.
Fastpass+ is not available for any of the events and Anna and Elsa will not be greeting guests at Hollywood Studios. The Magic Kingdom continues to be the only place where you can meet the Frozen duo.