This is the weekly news, rumors and refurbishments update for Walt Disney World for the week of May 11, 2014.
We're trying out a new format this week, so let us know what you think!
Here are the three biggest updates from around the resort for the past seven days...
1. A favorite returns to Disney's Animal Kingdom in June
The new Harambe Theater in the Africa section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom is nearing completion. The new theater will host the Festival of the Lion King stage show that closed in January due to the closing of Camp Minnie-Mickey.
The cast of the show is already allowed to enter the new theater to practice their performances. The Festival of Lion King will return this June.
2. A new party for Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney will be hosting a special event party at Disney’s Animal Kingdom every Saturday from June 7 – August 9 called Harambe Nights.
The event includes a Welcome Reception of appetizers and African-inspired wine and beers. After the reception is a performance in the newly built Harambe Theater called “The Lion King – Concert in the Wild”. The show will be hosted by a celebrity narrator and will tell the story of how Simba grew up to be King.
Once the show ends, the party begins. The Harambe Nights Street Party will feature characters, music, and live performers, but most importantly an all-inclusive buffet. The menu for the event is below:
Fresh Cooked Breads, Salads and More
- Watercress, melon, feta and berry balsamic onion salad
- Kachumbari salad with tomato, paneer, carrot and cilantro
- Roasted beetroot salad with sunflower seeds
- Creamy mac ‘n cheese
- Spicy vegetable samosa with mango chutney
- Traditional naan, onion kulcha and pappadum breads
- Roasted pepper hummus, raita and garlic-ginger pickle
Surf and Turf
- Mango, radish, lime and mustard seed salad
- Watermelon, cucumber and fennel salad
- Coriander chutney roasted potatoes
- Line-caught corvina filet with goan curry sauce
- On-stage-seared lamb chops with tamarind pomegranate sauce
- Slow-cook Action Stations
- Fork-tender peri barbecued pork
- Vegetarian eggplant tikka masala curry served over creamy goat cheese pap
- Butter chicken thighs
- Vegetarian legume wat served over basmati rice
- Golden pineapple with toasted voconut
- Apple slices with Amarula caramel sauce
- Ripe melon with minted lime yogurt dip
- Rice pudding, dried fruit compote and pistachio gremolata
- Caramel salted Tanzania chocolate Kenya coffee bite
- Chai cream with zebra stripes
- Ice cream bars
For pricing and availability, visit DisneyWorld.com/HarambeNights. Space is limited and seating for several dates is already filled.