The ultimate guide to the world's theme parks
Today is: Wed 23rd July, 2014
Check today's latest news
Images: SeaWorld confirms Aquatica San Diego opening date as June 1, 2013Submitted by Nick Sim on Monday, March 18, 2013 12:17
SeaWorld has confirmed that the new Aquatica San Diego water park will open on June 1, 2013, and has released details of its attractions for the first time.
The chain's third Aquatica park, designed to complement SeaWorld San Diego, will replace the former Knott's Soak City park in Chula Vista after SeaWorld acquired it last year. The former Cedar Fair property is currently undergoing extensive renovations, in order to install some of SeaWorld's signature marine life exhibits alongside the existing Soak City water attractions.
Many of the existing Knott's Soak City attractions will remain in place, although they will receive new themes as part of the conversion into Aquatica San Diego. The line-up of water slides and other offerings will include:
- Loggerhead Lane - the park's headline marine life attraction. Guests will float around 1,250-foot lazy river, taking in views of more than a dozen Caribbean flamingos.
- Whanau Way - a set of six 60-foot water slides, four of which are enclosed.
- HooRoo Run - two enclosed and two open slides plunge down from a height of 80 feet.
- Woohoo Falls - a set of three twisting, turning water slides.
- Kiwi Curl - three water slides plunging down from a height of 60 feet.
- Walhalla Wave - a 78-foot family-friendly slide which sees groups of guests boarding gigantic inner tubes.
- Tassie's Twister - a 75-foot slide in which riders board multi-person rafts and plunge down into a six-story funnel.
- Big Surf Shores - an enormous wave pool boasting more than 500,000 gallons of water and 5-foot waves. A 43,000 square-foot beach will line the shore.
- Walkabout Waters - a child-friendly interactive water play area, boasting slides, hoses, jets and geysers. A 500-gallon bucket will dump its contents onto guests below every five minutes.
- Kata's Kookaburra Cove - another children's play area, featuring a pool and ropes.
- Slippity Dippity - aimed at toddlers, this area will feature slides that are suitable for younger guests.
- Turtle habitat - guests will be able to view dozens of freshwater turtles from both above- and under-water viewpoints.
The latest concept artwork for Aquatica San Diego is embedded below:
SeaWorld San Diego will be similar in style to the original Aquatica in Orlando and Aquatica San Antonio, which opened in May 2012. Located around 20 miles from SeaWorld San Diego, it will be promoted as a companion park with combo-ticket deals.
SeaWorld has now launched an official website for Aquatica San Diego, which is expected to be updated with further details as the opening date draws nearer.
Connect with Theme Park Tourist:
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter for the latest news, reviews and discounts.