Thorpe Park closes Octopus Garden, gears up for Fright Nights 2010Submitted by Nick Sim on Thursday, September 9, 2010 22:48
Thorpe Park's Octopus Garden operated for the last time on September 5, and has now been closed to make way for the opening of a new water ride in 2011.
Theme Park Tourist was on hand at the park to capture the last few moments of the Octopus Garden, which can see be seen in the images below. All 6 remaining "kiddie" rides in the area will be removed from the park ahead of the 2011 season, to be replaced by a spinning rapids ride. More details of the new ride can be found in our extensive preview.
More images of the Octopus Garden's last day can be found in our image gallery.
Given Thorpe Park's positioning as "the nation's thrill capital", and the presence of nearby child-friendly parks Chessington World of Adventures and LEGOLAND Windsor, the closure of the Octopus Garden is not unexpected. However, it has led to concerns from some fans that Thorpe Park's ability to cater for families with children of differing ages will be diminished.
Thorpe Park has also begun in-park advertising for its annual Fright Nights Halloween event, which will take place on October 8-10, 15-17 and 22-31, 2010. This year's event will feature four temporary horror mazes in addition to the permanent SAW Alive maze which operates year-round.
The park will be open until late during Fright Nights, allowing guests to ride attractions such as SAW - The Ride in the dark. The four live-action horror mazes have all been seen in previous years, and will be:
- The Curse - set in a wrecked ship which has "washed ashore" in the Amity Cove area of the park.
- Se7en - a gory maze based on the seven deadly sins (Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride). Located in the park's arena.
- The Asylum - set in a maze of chicken wire fencing, with escaped mental patients terrorising guests.
- Hellgate - located at behind X:\No Way Out, themed around a haunted stately home.
For full details of Thorpe Park's Fright Nights see Theme Park Tourist's in-depth preview of Halloween 2010 at the world's most popular theme parks.
You can keep up to date with the latest confirmed and rumored opening dates for new attractions through Theme Park Tourist's "New Attraction Watch" section, and by signing up for our weekly newsletter.
Universal Orlando: The Unofficial Story - fully updated for 2015!
Heading to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando?
If you're planning a vacation to Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando, be sure to check out the following resources to help you save money:
- View our listings of all the latest Walt Disney World discounts.
- See the latest offers for the Universal Orlando Resort.
- Get a FREE quote for your Orlando vacation from Destinations in Florida, who will guarantee the best package price.