The ultimate guide to the world's theme parks
Today is: Sat 25th May, 2013
Check today's latest news
Survey: Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter proves a hit with visitorsSubmitted by Nick Sim on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 04:35
Universal Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter has proven a huge hit with visitors, according to the results of a Theme Park Tourist survey.
The survey, which was completed online by TPT readers, aimed to test reactions from those who have already visited the Wizarding World, and the plans and expectations of those who haven't. The results show that the vast majority of guests love the experience that Universal has created, although most hope that the relatively small area will be expanded to add further attractions.
The full results of the survey, along with detailed analysis, can be found in a three-part series of articles on Theme Park Tourist:
- Part 1 - General reactions
- Part 2 - Views on shops and restaurants
- Part 3 - Views on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and other rides
The key results of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter survey are:
- Universal Orlando looks set to attract huge numbers of visitors to the resort as a result of the Wizarding World's opening. Of the survey respondents who have yet to see the new land, over 84% said that they were planning a visit to the resort within the next three years. Of those, 65% cited visiting the Wizarding World as the main reason for making the trip.
- Guests are also staying longer at the resort now that the Potter-themed land has arrived. 54% of guests stayed for 1 day or more extra than they would have done prior to the Wizarding World's opening, with 9% staying for 3 days or more extra.
- The Wizarding World's only all-new attraction, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, is a smash hit. 82% of riders rate it as the best theme park attraction in the world, while 86% believe it is better than Universal Orlando's previous number one attraction - The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman.
- In Hogwarts Castle, Universal Orlando finally has a landmark to compete with the iconic Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Asked to compare the two, 73% said they prefer Universal's recreation of Hogwarts, with only 5% favoring Disney's Cinderella Castle.
- The much-hyped Ollivanders Wand Shop ranks surprisingly low in guests' choice of their favorite shop at the Wizarding World, with Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods receiving 52% of votes.
- Frozen Butterbeer is more popular than its standard counterpart. 93% of guests that tried it rate it as "very tasty", compared with 50% of those who tasted standard Butterbeer - though both are a huge hit.
- The biggest complaint against the Wizarding World is its small size, and the lengthy queues that this causes in the area's shops.
- In future, most visitors (63%) would like to see more rides added to the Wizarding World, while 82% say they would stay in a Harry Potter-themed hotel if one was to open at Universal Orlando.
For a full overview of the Wizarding World survey results, head to part 1 of our in-depth analysis. The results are summarised the infographic below: